Obtaining an e-tag
1. What is an e-tag?
An e-tag is an electronic device the size of a computer mouse, which is attached to the windscreen of your car. As a vehicle that is fitted with an e-tag approaches the toll plaza and selects one of the specially marked e-tag lanes, the e-tag is read by an antenna in the plaza roof and the boom opens automatically.
The driver only needs to slow down and does not have to stop, look for cash or open the vehicle windows to pass a credit card to the toll collector. Traffic volumes permitting, the e-tag offers a non-stop passage through all toll plazas along the Bakwena Platinum Highway.
2. How do I get an e-tag?
In order to obtain an e-tag you need to:
- Phone the e-toll Call Centre on 0800 SANRAL (0800726725),
- Fill in an e-tag application form. These forms are available from
You have to be in possession of a valid South African credit card, an Absa Fleet, First Auto, Nedfleet or Stannic Fleetcard or a Garage card (approved BIN numbers only). Your card details are entered on the Application Form – all transits that you incur during a calendar month are debited to your card at the beginning of the following month. Please note that certain cards charge transaction fees.
When you submit the e-tag application, please specify at which of the above outlets you would like to collect your e-tag. Our consultants will contact you when your e-tag application has been approved and the e-tag is ready for collection.
Your e-tag should be ready within 5 working days. Upon collection of your e-tag you will be required to sign a Speedpoint slip for the non-refundable deposit. Due to public demand Bakwena has extended the introductory offer of R100 for the e-tag – Bakwena pays R250 to import the device and offers clients a 60% discount on the cost price!
- Johannesburg: Bakwena, 24 Sunninghill Office Park, Peltier Road, Sunninghill, phone (011) 519 0400 – application forms are faxed to clients on request.
- Pretoria: Pt Operational Services, Yorkor Park, 86 Watermeyer Street, Val de Grace, Pretoria, phone (012) 804 9057 – application forms are faxed to clients on request.
- Pretoria: Kollonade Shopping Centre – at the e-tag Information Kiosk, 1st floor.
- Rustenburg: Waterfall Mall – at the e-tag Information Kiosk, phone (014) 537-3598 to make an appointment.
Always keep your e-tag number handy in your vehicle.
3. If I have a large fleet, do I have to fill in a form per vehicle?
You do not have to fill in one application form per vehicle. On request Bakwena provides a special Excel spreadsheet on which you can enter all details regarding the individual vehicles – the application form will only have to be completed once.
Please contact us on (011) 519 0400 to obtain your special Excel Fleet Register.
Article courtesy of Arrive Alive (www.arrivealive.co.za)